Monday, June 15, 2009

The first real post (sorry Chis)

It's 10 o'clock eastern standard time and Megan and I are relaxing in our wonderful D.C. host's home (thank you again Erin). It's been a mad dash to the finish line trying to get everything ready to go today, but we feel pretty confident that everything is properly taken care of and we are prepared. Although, we almost had to break into the Kenyan embassy to get our visas. I'm talking some real James Bond type action, luckily (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) they were able to discreetly slide us our passports through the bars on the window of the visa office. 

So now that everything is in place the angst is giving way to excitement. We're really looking forward to working with students at the school in the village and I know Megan is excited about implementing some sort of a running program. I'm a little bit older than she is (13 months to be exact) and these old knees have seen better days. That's what I'm going to tell people when they ask me why I'm not out there running with Megan and the kids. Really I'm just preemptively lazy. But I will gladly challenge any and all of the children to arm wrestling matches; hopefully I will return gloriously as the arm wrestling champion of Kenya.

Honestly though we don't know what to expect but we are both very excited and can't wait to be in Kenya. We will continue to write as much as possible, I'll keep a tally of my arm wrestling wins, and we'll post pictures of our travels as well.

I don't know how to say "goodbye" in Swahili, but if I may quote the Terminator - "hasta la vista, baby!"

1 comment: